Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Puppy Truck Guys

OK, I promise that tomorrow starts the real blog about my new dog. I check into campus tomorrow morning, but tonight, I am in the Bay Area with friends being lazy and eating wonderful food. Thanks Cheryl and Scotty!

This is a tribute to some little-known folks who work at Guide Dogs but make a big difference---The PUPPY TRUCK GUYS! I don't know if they're all guys, but those that I've seen are.

The puppy truck guys drive all around the seven Western states where Guide Dog puppies are raised. Their job is to deliver new, young wiggly puppies to excited puppy raisers and to pick up dogs that are returning to formal training. They're incredibly kind and understanding fellows. They will let you hold a new wiggly puppy for a while after your dog that's going back for training gets on the truck. We gave them Apple, and they let me hold Godiva, a very squirmy yellow lab puppy whose raiser would meet them at the next city. It helped a lot, because frankly, this is the only time that I would ever have turned down chocolate for apple.

The drivers will stay for as long as they can, so you have time to get ready and put your dog in the kennel. They're outstanding with dealing with the joy when you recieve a new puppy and the tears when you say good-bye to your dog. While they're on the road, they exercise and care for a large number of dogs of all ages. They keep their ride an impeccably clean and enjoyable space for the dogs. And every dog gets a toy in its kennel.

So I salute the Puppy Truck Guys!

Tomorrow is the first real day and then what we've all been waiting for---Dog Day is Monday! So stay tuned as the adventure really begins.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh Mary, sounds like a mixed set of emotions. Dan and I got to experience the puppy truck for the first time on Friday, like you said the drivers are wonderful. You know Ron, Shirley and I will be up next weekend for Fun Dan and I would love to see you and hear everything about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete