Friday, July 23, 2010

Both Ends of the Spectrum

Tonight, with heavy hearts, Heather and I are saying goodbye to our Guide Dog puppy Apple. By sheer coincidence, Guide Dogs has recalled Apple for formal training the same time I enter class. I know this sounds strange, because if we raise puppies, why wouldn't I just get Apple? The answer is that Apple is very bonded to Heather, as she is her primary raiser. And it would be difficult for Apple, Heather, and myself to sort out a new dynamic.

So Apple is going back to school for the next few months to do some very hard work. I am going to school  to become the beneficiary of other puppy raisers' hard work. So, you see, two ends of the spectrum. Our family has lived the full Guide Dogs circle---from having a working Guide (Stacey) to raising puppies (Berlina and Apple) and once again to receiving a new working Guide.

Once again, I'm living the puppy raisers' hardest moment, followed very quickly in a few weeks by one of the greatest feelings of empowerment and freedom you can imagine. So my heart goes out to all the puppy raisers, with the biggest thank you possible. Send hugs to Heather, as she says "see you later" to both of us. And send good luck to Apple; she will do well.

1 comment:

  1. Note to the observant who see that this post says I created it. Mary did it on my Mac, and I didn't realized I hadn't logged out and logged her on again as herself. Sorry about that. But she did write it!

    And thanks, Mary, for the hugs.

    ReplyDelete